Thursday, April 12, 2012

Stop for Yellow Lights

Loss: an overwhelming feeling that can take over your life. Of all the ways to experience this feeling, the death of a young person has got to be the worst. 

Kenny has been my brother's very best friend for nearly two years now. They did everything together. My mom loved him like he was her son, and her cat adored him even more. Funny, tall, handsome, smart, and handy were all words that described Kenny to a T.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012, Kenny was making a left turn. The stop light had just turned yellow. A man coming from the other direction, hit Kenny's car and flipped it over. Kenny died on impact. 

My mother called me Wednesday evening right as I got home from work and told me the news. My heart dropped and was aching for my brother's loss. Mom is having a very difficult time for two reasons. She hurts for her sons. And the realization that it could have been any of her kids hit her like a freight train. She made us all promise to never run a yellow light ever again, going straight or turning left. 

I can't even imagine what Kenny's family is going through right now, but I know how it is affecting my brother and it's killing me to see his pain. I don't know what to say, so I told him I loved him and gave him a hug and sat with him, just to be there so he knows he's not alone.


1 comment:

Jack and Jill said...

Thank you for posting this. While we appreciate being let in on something so deeply personal, it is also good, if somewhat disturbing, to be reminded about just how fragile life is, and how it should not be taken for granted. Our hearts go out to Kenny's family, and also to yours. We are thinking of you during this obviously difficult time.

Also, you're a good sister. Sometimes "I love you" and a hug are all one can do, but are also all that is needed.